This page includes background information about data modeling, to help future implementers.
Status: Incomplete and unreviewed. (This page still needs to be fleshed out.)
Glossaries are a specific instance of Knowledge Organization Systems (KOS). These vocabulary formats provide models for:
- Classification schemes
- Folksonomies, and
- Other controlled vocabularies.
There are mature standards and supporting tools for publishing and maintaining controlled vocabularies.
- Simple Knowledge Organization System (SKOS)
- Resource Description Framework (RDF)
- Dublin Core Terms
- Data Catalog Vocabulary (DCAT)
- JSON for Linking Data (JSON-LD)
- Shapes Constraint Language (SHACL)
- Web Ontology Language (OWL)
Our shareable glossary schema aggregates fields from these standards.
More details at:
- Shareable glossary maturity levels.
- Rules for making a vocabulary Findable Accessible Interoperable and Reusable (FAIR).
- SKOS Primer.