TheGoodDocsProject provides best practice templates and writing instructions that empowers people to document Open Source Software, which incidentally will be directly applicable to other domains too.
Multiple doc types are required to achieve a project’s Minimum Viable Docset. Each serves a different purpose and has differing requirements.
For each doc type we expect to build:
- A template, embedded with concise writing instructions.
- Deeper practical tips and explanations and justification for approaches.
- Collated background theory.
We are focusing on content, not doc formats or tool chains, at least not yet.
To address quality and capture collaborative wisdom:
- We will apply a write/review/refine/reiterate process,
- With just-enough-governance,
- Overseen by a Project Steering Committee.
Document quality requirements differs between doc types and project maturity. We plan to describe doc and process characteristics and processes which lead to maturity, to facilitate discussion around quality.