The Good Docs Project Community
We are a community of technical writers, developers, UX designers, and more who work together to make software documentation better. Whether you are new to documentation or a seasoned technical writer, joining our community will give you opportunities to mentor and be mentored by others, build your professional network, improve your documentation skills, and help make software documentation better.
Learn and Connect
Using or want to use The Good Docs Project? Find out more here:
- GitLab Organization: All projects for this organization.
- Primary Mailing List: Development Discussion
- Twitter: Follow us on Twitter to get the latest news.
There are more details on our Community and Contact page.
Develop and Contribute
You can find out how to contribute to these docs in our Contribution Guidelines.
If you want to get more involved by contributing to The Good Docs Project, join us here:
- Working Groups: Join a Working Group to guide the future of the project.
- Slack Workspace: Chat with other project members.
- Slack Join Link: To join The Good Docs Project Slack Workspace.
How to join and contribute
Our project is organized into small working groups of about 2-10 people who collaborate together to work on key project initiatives and tasks. For that reason, one of the best ways you can get started is to look at our list of working groups and decide which group(s) you might want to join and contribute to.
Once you find a group that is working on a project that interests you:
- Join our Slack workspace and add yourself to the channel for the working group you want to join.
- Most working groups meet on a regular basis (either weekly, every other week, or monthly). Check the meeting times for that group and our calendar for meeting details.
We also have general meetings where you can come and meet the project leaders and learn more about the project.
Everyone is welcome to join our forums. When engaging with members of our project, we ask that you follow our Code of Conduct.
Our calendar lists our video meetings. Connection details are in the meeting details.
If you’d like to contribute regularly, you should ask the meeting lead to add you to the meeting invite. This means you can:
- Log in without approval from the meeting lead.
- Have the invite added to your personal calendar.
You can view Good Docs Project meetings and events on your personal calendar by subscribing to the Good Docs Project public calendar. To subscribe:
- Click + next to the Google Calendar link in the lower right corner of the Good Docs public calendar.
- When your personal Google calendar loads, you’ll see the Add calendar dialog box. Click Add.
We regularly chat in Slack. You can join our Slack workspace.
The main channels are:
- #general: General discussions for everyone in the group
- #welcome: Join this channel and introduce yourself! We respond.
We have email lists, but don’t use them much. You can join from our groups.io mailing list admin page.